Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Why you gotta be so rude? - Rude by Magic! review

Assalamualaikum, peace be upon you all my friends!

It has been a while, and today I would like to share my thought and review on the latest hit song by a new canadian group, Magic ; Rude!


The song, I can't deny that it's very catchy and like a candy to my ear. The first time I heard this song through a local radio station, I was like 'wow! what song is this?' Not long later I managed to figure the title and the singer.

Long story short, after I read the lyric I was surprised that this song was meant for the father of 'his' girlfriend.




So, what I'm going to share here is, how this song could influence us in our lives, well particularly on how we communicate with the elderly.

Please read the second stanza of the song ;

Can I have your daughter for the rest of my life?
Say yes, say yes 'cause I need to know
You say I'll never get your blessing 'til the day I die
Tough luck, my friend, but the answer is 'No'

In this stanza, there is really nothing wrong with it. Instead, it shows a good attitude of a gentleman asking the girl's father permission to marry her. In Islam too, we have wali, where it is the female's male representative, normally the father when she wants to get married, or being asked for a marriage (if you know what I mean). So basically, I got no problem with this stanza.

However, the chorus ; 

Why you gotta be so rude?
Don't you know I'm human too?
Why you gotta be so rude?
I'm gonna marry her anyway

This part is where I really start to dislike this song. Why? Read the chorus pals! He said to the father 'why you gotta be so rude?' Well, seriously who is being rude here? You asked for his blessing then you cannot simply accused him being rude just because he doesn't like you! 
Yes! He is human! We all know that. He said that to point out that he also has basic needs; which is marriage. But then, he should reflect himself, why the father detested him?
My point here is, just because this song is catchy and you know the lyric, don't let this song influence you! No matter how angry, mad and unfair you feel towards the elderly, NEVER say something that is rude, that could hurt the feelings, and NEVER DISRESPECT THEM! They are older than you.


And of course, everyone's favourite part ; 

Marry that girl
Marry her anyway
Marry that girl
Yeah, no matter what you say
Marry that girl
And we'll be a family
Why you gotta be so
Rude

Yup! He's gonna marry the girl anyway. But don't apply this in your life. There are reasons why the father doesn't/didn't allow them. Like all other parents, I'm sure he only wants the best for his daughter, and he wants only the right man, the one that he believes can take good care of his daughter, can lover her regardless of her flaws, can guide her throughout this life, and most of all the one that can accept her family and respect her parents to marry her. 
Do you think if they simply get married without the father blessings they will be happy? Love, doesn't do things right. Except if it is love of Allah, and love because of Allah.
If they do get married, they are being disrespectful to the father, and the family.




So, do you think this song really gives positive vibes to you?
Read again. Think again.

We have Islam. We have our culture. Don't simply let the western (and local too) entertainment ruin, destroy the culture that we have been proud of.

Never let your guard down.

As in Malay, we would say "Kita kena ada jati diri". Hold unto Islam identity, insyaAllah the best thing would happen in your life! (Including your future marriage!)



I'm sorry if I ever hurt anyone's feelings. Like the title of my blog 'In A Mind Of A Teenager', this is only my opinion, as my brain never stop working thinking about things unrelated to my studies. *sigh


Assalamualaikum and have good day

No comments:

Post a Comment