Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Lessons from Kimi Ni Todoke (both manga and anime)

Salam 'alayk guys! And good morning too!

So as I have promised, I will talk/discuss/type on further about one of my favourite anime/manga ever, Kimi Ni Todoke! (although it's been a month already).



I'm sure everyone who likes anime and manga have heard of this title and even watched them, the anime and live action movie! The live action movie is just so cute and adorable, I love the actress that portrays Kuronuma.

So cute.

Ok ok. Back to topic. I first watched the anime, then read the manga (because I couldn't get over how cute Kuronuma*Kazehaya). Therefore I'll start with what I've learnt from the anime, then from manga, because the manga is still ongoing and has extended until their 3rd year of high school (the story starts from freshman year).

First of all, I don't know if I'm the only who feels this, but from the anime I can assume that the Japanese are so expressive with their feelings..?? Like they will just say out loud what's been on their mind, with honesty, and I think that is really cool. It seems like they prefer to have the other party to understand how they have been feelings, or it's just Kuronuma.. hahaha

Second, Kuronuma is such a tidy and optimistic girl! Can I borrow her optimism for the rest of my life??!!!

Third, honestly there's not much that I took lesson of from the anime.

What really impacted on is the manga.

Only one point.

It is how the classroom teacher, actually told the students to think of what they wanted to do after high school when they were only junior in highschool. They still have 2 more years until graduation, but they have been pushed to think of their future, of what they wanted to do, whether they want to stay and help with family business, or further studies in universities, and if they choose the latter one they would have to think on their preferred profession, WITH THE GUIDE OF THE TEACHER!




You see, in Japan, they teach the students to plan their future. They teach the students to find what they want to do, and help them to pursue it. They are trying to fully utilize their human resource by not wasting every talent and interest the students have!

Meanwhile in Malaysia, at least when I was still in school, people just asked "what's your ambition?", "what you wanted to do in the future?" just to fulfill the introduction requirement for ice breaking. No going further than whats-your-ambition.

Back then there were lots of typical answers: teachers, policemen, pilot, doctors. Even one time I opened Biology textbook to look for an answer, and I picked virologist. (Hey, I did get A for my Bio!). Students were encouraged to have doctor or engineer as their ambition, but were never guided on how to reach them. Oh wait, they did! "If you want to be a doctor you have to get straight A's for SPM!". Fullstop.

That's it. THAT WAS IT.

Watching and reading Kimi Ni Todoke make me realised how much I wasted my teens not planning my life career. How I've been missing on my interests and passions.

Why I said so?

Because after SPM, I didn't know what I wanted to pursue. I've always have this vision of owning a book-cafe, but majoring in Business Admin was not an option (I'm sure my father be against it due to tight job market). I like sciences but I couldn't continue in Matriculation Science stream because the one I got offered was like at the end of the world and my mom wouldn't want it. 

I didn't filled in my UPU with science major because my mom predicted I wouldn't be able to make it, because I had hard time with addmaths (but I do like maths and got B for addmaths). 

And in the end, I guess I was lost and I didn't study well about options available I ended in Islamic courses for my undergrad studies. It's not bad, really, but my weakest point, even weaker than addmaths is Arabic language, so I had to struggle a lot, I even broke down and dysfunction few times.


My point here is, I feel so regretful I didn't find out what I like, what I wanted to do before I finished my SPM. Now, after few years, I know I like maths (always), I like history, arts, business. These are the things that I have passion on and I found it a bit later than I should.

Feeling this way, I think non of my juniors should feel lost after SPM, or feeling discouraged in college, just because it's not what they wanted to do. Students deserve better.

If they say they wanted to be a teacher, then explain to them that they need to go to UPSI for best options, need get straight A's to be accepted. Doctor? A+ for sciences subjects, and if they want to pursue it overseas, see which scholarship suits them, so they know how to strive.

Highschool/Secondary school students need to be guided on how they are going to achieve their ambitions, so they know what they wanted to do. Don't let them study hard for the sake of brilliant SPM results, only to get lost after. Make them study so they can get what they want, so they can do what they wanted to do.

Don't be like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment